Date Reçu / Date Arrived: 30/09/2010 10:37:52 PM
Numéro de processus public / Public Process Number : 2010-623
Demande(s) / Application(s) :
Demande de comparaître à l’audience publique / Request to appear at the public hearing : Désire comparaitre / Request to appear
Commentaire / Comment :
Dear Secretary General.
1) On behalf of W2 Community Media Arts Society (BC Registration S-54305), I write regarding CRTC broadcasting notice of public consultation 2010-623. We would like to appear at the oral hearing by videoconference at the CRTC Vancouver office if there is one.
2) W2 is a highly anticipated community media broadcasting centre opening in December 2010 at the landmark Woodward's redevelopment in downtown Vancouver, British Columbia. In the leadup to opening, we are operating W2 Storyeum, a 31,000 square foot media arts centre at 151 West Cordova. W2 bring together hybrid art forms, works on multi-platforms and breaks the digital divide in Canada's poorest postal code, the Downtown Eastside. Through access to gear, training, production and dissemination, W2 works for social inclusion and crosscultural dialogue. W2 is indeed a community television non-profit corporation with regularly scheduled programs (broadcast on Shaw Cable) DBA FearlessTV. Our cultural programming is rich and draws from dozens of partnerships with ethnically and socially diverse communities. These programs are typically livestreamed to a broader audience in the city. W2's work is the epitomy of community access and expression.
3) We are disappointed that more than 80% of the hyper local community TV channels that existed in Canada more than a decade ago have been closed and the results of the recent policy via CRTC broadcasting notice 2009-661 does not recognize the harm done or address these closures.
4) Therefore, we support the renewed proposal by the Canadian Association of Community Television Users and Stations to use the 0.5% of cable gross revenues that would become available under the CRTC's proposal in 2010-623 for establishing a Community Access Media Fund to which independent non-profit community-run access producers and channels could apply.
5) Although 0.5% is only one quarter the amount to establish a healthy community TV sector country-wide according to the research CACTUS presented this spring, it is a significant contribution towards rectifying the inequity Canadians are currently suffering from in the community access TV arena. Dominated by major players promoting a commercialised and standardized model, community TV is needing an investment directed at community-based content generation. W2 can increasingly play a significant role in this field for the Vancouver market. The 0.5% should also be considered a resource for capital investments in this sector, not limited to solely program development and production.
6) As well, such funding would allow W2 to grow a large community television volunteer base and provide welcoming physical production and studio space which is in short supply or inaccessible for community-based independent television producers. Note cable companies, first Rogers then Shaw, dismantled a thousands strong volunteer network and some dozen or more neighbourhood offices and studios and attendant staff have disappeared from the Metro Vancouver community television landscape since CRTC's 1997-25 disastrous policy. This must be acknowledged and corrected.
7) Thank you for your consideration.
* END OF DOCUMENT * *"
Irwin Oostindie, Executive Director
W2 Community Media Arts Society
Reasons for appearance/Raisons pour paraître
Introduce the full breadth of operating practices of W2's vanguard model for community access media production. Crossmedia production and distribution through localized facilities can effectively break the digital divide, and ensure all Canadians have access to promote their cultural expression for the benefit of all Canadians.
Copie envoyée à la requérante / Copy sent to applicant : Non/No
Nom / Name : Mr. Irwin Oostindie
Titre / Title : Executive Director
On behalf of Compagnie / au nom de la Company : W2 Community Media Art Society
Adresse courriel / E-mail address : email@example.com
Adresse postale / Postal address : 151 W Cordova Street, Vancouver, Colombie-Britannique / British Columbia , Canada
Code postal / Postal code : V6B 1E1
Téléphone / Telehone :
Facsimilé / Fax :
Veuillez communiquer par / Please contact by: Courriel / Email